Monday, July 7, 2008

"These seven souls have had a long history." -Garrick, during our version of a "group hug."

I was 17 or 18 when I met most of the guys. Maybe younger than that when Thad came into the picture. We've all been fairly involved in each other's lives for years, and at crucial points.

Garrick was about my best friend in the world for a few months after Josh and I broke up my freshman year of college. Garrick and I were together all the time, and it pretty much saved my sanity. He was a good friend to both parties of the break up, and, at least on my end, handled it well. There's always the time we all went camping...in January...in a tornado warning...two weekends in a row. It's probably one of my favorite stories to tell. I think I'll soon be posting some of the pictures on Facebook from that trip, by request.

Phil and I go way back. He lived with my brothers for six months or so when we were all in high school (wow - saying that makes me feel old). Being my wonderful, change-resistant self, I didn't like him very much at first. Three months later we were great friends. I don't know how it happened, but suddenly there was hackey sack and guitars and band practice, and I don't know what I would have done without Philip Gibson. We aren't near as close as we used to be, but I would go home and we would take long car rides and talk forever.

Thad, I wasn't too fond of, either, when I first met him. (I think my relationship with most of the guys started that way...) I always remember one time he was wearing a hat, I grabbed it off of his head, and a joint fell out. It got lost in Martin's yard and we made him find it so that the parents wouldn't freak out. Good times. The last summer I was home, I hung out with Thad about every other day. Another sanity saver for the college girl who could only find an 8-hour-a-week job.

Ben didn't talk to me for the longest time. He's just not the talkative type, unless he knows you really well. But one night at band practice, he asked me how I liked the music. I was so excited that he was actually speaking to me, and I'm pretty sure our friendship started about then. Now, when we get bored at work, we text each other and theorize about more entertaining ways to make a living. Our lastest: "FUNderwear: because it's better than naked."

There was definitely a history in the room yesterday afternoon, between Garrick, Ben, Phil, Martin, Thad, Liz and me. It was an odd feeling, though, because it had been a year, if not two, since we were all in the same room together. I am always afraid in those situations because I've changed and so have they. I suppose, though, change is needed. And yet, that doesn't change a lot of things.

No comments: